At Roanoke Catholic School, our mission of blending learning with faith and faith with daily life infuses our curriculum both in and out of the classroom. Each week we celebrate Mass together as a community inside neighboring St. Andrew’s Catholic Church. Organized by our Office of Campus Ministry, we have monthly Adoration, “Prayer Buddies” partnering an Upper School student with a Lower Schooler, class-wide retreats, abundant opportunities to serve our school and community, and more.
Service to school and community is an integral part of a Christian education; all students are involved in service projects. Beginning in Kindergarten, each class partners in service to a particular local agency or organization, such as the Rescue Mission, Ronald McDonald House, St. Francis of Assisi Service Dogs, TAP, and the Southwest Virginia Food Bank.
All Upper School students are required to perform 40 hours of community service each year. Students develop personal service projects, perform acts of service, and submit verification forms in a timely manner. Information on service opportunities both within the school and the broader community are regularly made available.
Middle School students participate in our Saint House program. Students in Grades 5-7 do good deeds for points. Community service hours that benefit the community, neighborhood, church or school in a non-paid volunteer capacity can be presented to their teachers for credit.
Every student is required to make a retreat once a year within the context of the school day.
- Mustard Seeds: Every parent is welcome to participate in the Roanoke Catholic Mustard Seeds Prayer Chain, which includes prayer intentions, readings, meditations and other faith resources. The purpose of the RCS Mustard Seeds Prayer Chain is to strengthen the Roanoke Catholic School community through intercessory prayer and to provide prayerful support for those in need.
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament: First Friday of the month, 8 AM – 2:30 PM in school chapel.
- Rosary: Tuesday mornings at 7:30.
- Weekly Mass/Liturgy/Prayer Service: Usually Tuesday afternoons at St. Andrew’s.
- Upper School Peer Ministry: Helps with retreats and class discussions.
- Prayer Buddies: Each month, Upper School students share a faith experience with their Lower School buddies.
- Holy Thursday: Half day of reflection for the whole school.