At Roanoke Catholic School, our mission of blending learning with faith and faith with daily life infuses our curriculum both in and out of the classroom. Each week we celebrate Mass together as a community inside neighboring St. Andrew’s Catholic Church. Organized by our Office of Campus Ministry, we have monthly Adoration, “Prayer Buddies” partnering an Upper School student with a Lower Schooler, class-wide retreats, abundant opportunities to serve our school and community, and more.
Service to school and community is an integral part of a Christian education; all students are involved in service projects. Beginning in Kindergarten, each class partners in service to a particular local agency or organization, such as the Rescue Mission, Ronald McDonald House, St. Francis of Assisi Service Dogs, TAP, and the Southwest Virginia Food Bank.
All Upper School students are required to perform 40 hours of community service each year. Students develop personal service projects, perform acts of service, and submit verification forms in a timely manner. Information on service opportunities both within the school and the broader community are regularly made available.
Middle School students participate in our Saint House program. Students in Grades 5-7 do good deeds for points. Community service hours that benefit the community, neighborhood, church or school in a non-paid volunteer capacity can be presented to their teachers for credit.
Every student is required to make a retreat once a year within the context of the school day.
- Mustard Seeds: Every parent is welcome to participate in the Roanoke Catholic Mustard Seeds Prayer Chain, which includes prayer intentions, readings, meditations and other faith resources. The purpose of the RCS Mustard Seeds Prayer Chain is to strengthen the Roanoke Catholic School community through intercessory prayer and to provide prayerful support for those in need.
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament: First Friday of the month, 8 AM – 2:30 PM in school chapel.
- Rosary: Tuesday mornings at 7:30.
- Weekly Mass/Liturgy/Prayer Service: Usually Tuesday afternoons at St. Andrew’s.
- Upper School Peer Ministry: Helps with retreats and class discussions.
- Prayer Buddies: Each month, Upper School students share a faith experience with their Lower School buddies.
- Holy Thursday: Half day of reflection for the whole school.
Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is a national organization that challenges coaches and athletes to use the power of athletics to impact our world for Jesus Christ. Athletes and coaches make a steadfast commitment to Jesus Christ and His Word through integrity, service, teamwork, and excellence.
The RCS chapter of the FCA is open to any student (athlete or not) in Grades 5-12 who want to take a leadership role and make a difference in their school, in their community, and in their parish. The monthly meetings are held on the second Thursday of each month from 7:20-7:55 AM in the RCS cafeteria. Breakfast is always served, and each meeting features a speaker, worship music, or service project. Our FCA is especially dedicated to local charities and student involvement in the community. CLICK HERE to like us on Facebook.
Regional Churches Supporting RCS
Roanoke Catholic School is a regional school of the Diocese of Richmond that serves the Roanoke Valley and surrounding areas. The parishes of St. Andrew’s, St. Gerard, Our Lady of Nazareth, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, and Church of the Transfiguration contribute directly to the financial support of the school.
Many other local parishes are represented in the student body at RCS. They include the following:
- Church of the Transfiguration – Fincastle, Virginia
- Holy Name of Mary – Bedford, Virginia
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church – Salem, Virginia
- Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church – Roanoke, Virginia
- Resurrection Catholic Church – Moneta, Virginia
- St. Elias Maronite Catholic Church – Roanoke, Virginia
- St. Gerard Catholic Church – Roanoke Virginia
- St. Jude Catholic Church – Radford, Virginia
- St. Mary’s Catholic Church – Blacksburg, Virginia
- St. Patrick Catholic Church – Lexington, Virginia
- St. Andrews Catholic Church – Roanoke, Virginia